Saturday, 12 April 2014

There and Back Again ....

So, in my usual fashion I feel this blog is going to very current and updated - hah!  But anyway - nothing that a week n a half's break wont fix.  A fairly busy week and a half though I must say.

Lovely Ceremony at the Golf Club
Beautiful Bride!
The first weekend up in Darwin ended up not being in Darwin at all!  I headed back down to Rocky to celebrate a wonderful day with a great friend.  Miss Ronnie went and got herself married!  Such a beautiful day to celebrate!  I was pretty lucky in that I got to drive around and hang out with them all for the day - but didn't have any of the pressure of having to look good or be in the photos!  So winning as far as I'm concerned :) . It was a fantastic day and was so great to catch up with a bunch of people all looking their best for the occasion.  I have only the biggest wishes for amazing blessing to be all over their marriage!

The other benefit of the wedding being on that weekend was that it was also Dad's birthday!   Such a good opportunity to see all the family and catch up.  Even got to meet the latest addition to the Diamond family (and Irwin family).  Such a good looking kid! (Even if I already feel like a biased proud Aunty!). Was so great to see everyone.  Dad cranked up the side burner to make the most amazing Paella!  Always a huge favourite when I get home :) ... especially when it is teamed up with such yummy yummy Sangria!

The only downfall to the whole time back up home was the part where I was really not well.  In typical Lisa fashion though I put everything off and pretended that I was fine - just the usual viral tonsillitis which is an old friend of mine ... right?  Well - according to the doctor when I visited - that was wrong.  I had middle ear infections and nasty bacterial infection of my tonsils so actually had to take some dreaded antibiotics - the horror!  But .. I survived and got there in the end.  Its amazing how much difference the drugs make. I felt human again in only a few days.
Sleepy Times - so peaceful!
Introducing the Lovely Miss Addi!
Its the sort of thing where you don't realise just how unwell you are until you're well again.  In hindsight its a case of - yeah .. I really was not with it at all.

Sadly though - that has carried over into my placement as well for the last few weeks.  I think that the consultants on the ward think I'm a bit of a dummy - but I've decided that that is also ok.  I have one more week to redeem myself with them so hopefully that wont be too difficult to do.  I have already planned to put together a presentation which I can do at some stage on renal involvement in Multiple Myeloma (yep - riveting stuff I can hear you think).  It seems that every time the consultants ask me something my answer is essentially - "mumble mumble mumble ... and I don't really know - I will look it up".  I hate feeling like an idiot!  Medical school has definitely made me a whole lot more humble and happy to admit when I have no idea about stuff - but it still irks!  Otherwise though - the week went alright.  I think I started to feel more like myself Wednesday/Thursday and so perked up quite a bit.  Another good thing as well (without coming across as too nasty) is that next week the usual registrar will be back with the team and from previous reports she is usually really good and keen to teach and involve the students - which will be fantastic for me.  The previous just didn't come across as friendly or welcoming or keen to teach - which was quite frustrating, but anyway - I was unwell for most of the time so pretty sure I came across as being more dimwitted than normal - haha.

Just a few crazy meddies in blue scrubs
The week went out with a bit of a bang.  Last night was the Northern Territory's version of Scrubcrawl.  A time honoured tradition where medical students get dressed up in some cheap scrubs and then proceed to visit various pubs in the getup and generally have a good time.  Was quite hilarious.  I decided to go along for a bit of fun - and to meet a few more people up in this neck of the woods.  We started at a BBQ area along the foreshore at Fanny Bay for a free BBQ and drinks - which was lovely.  Got to watch the sun set over the ocean and all that - gorgeous weather and scenery!  After 8 we all headed into the main street of Darwin. It was one of those events where you get reminded of your age - and that you reach a certain time and that's pretty much you done for the night. So midnight was my self imposed bedtime and I didn't even feel bad about leaving a 'pumping' busy club so it was a pleasant night overall.  I think one of the funny highlights though, was while we were on our way between 2 of the pubs we passed a restaurant and there were a few people out having dinner on the deck of the place who waved us over.  They were just curious as to what was going on - with so many people wandering around in blue scrubs its hardly surprising!  So another person and I stopped and chatted with them for a while - probably close to half an hour to be perfectly honest!  They seemed lovely and gave us some of the restaurant home made Ouzo.  Made me think of the Italian place we went to on the Gold Coast with the family who do the same - the owner making his own!  Was pleasant company for a while.  Almost wish that we just stayed and chatted with them for a while rather than heading to the busy noisy nightclub!  But anyway - the things that happen in Darwin are always entertaining :)

No comments:

Post a Comment