Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Warm n Sultry Beginnings

So after a fun and interesting start to the year it was time to pack up all the bits n pieces from the last 3 years in a bittersweet final rampage of gathering everything together and trying to sort out my life.  Its really quite an emotional and depressing way to spend a few days - and the fun of realising once you start that you really should have dedicated a week or so to it .... rather than evenings and dribs and drabs. 

Will miss so many things from living in that awesome little townhouse!  Such good company in there, peaceful, positive, encouraging and all kinds of good things which life should be.  But - new adventures to be had and chapters to be written. 

So, leaving a warm again Adelaide I landed in a steamy Darwin and got reminded once more what humidity feels like - this time though I think I have to admit that I had missed it!  Was glorious to walk out into.  Thankful to also be picked up from the airport by a friendly local - though my monstrous amount of luggage did make me look like a bit of an oversized princess.  It was a look that I just decided I should work with! 

Is quite interesting the way that things have worked out with accommodation.  I'm the only girl in with a few guys - all significantly younger before anyone gets excited - so I have to rein in my desire to tell them what to do with some stuff and offer my probable useless advice around cooking and other domestic type activities.  Though, on my first night the pasta went down quite well with them all so I think I got in people's good books :) haha!

After a reasonably early night the first night in Darwin, the Monday was day one up at the hospital.  I managed to arrive about 10mins before the first member of the team - thanks to an early bus!  Compared to my last placement being a pretty busy surgical one the main things that I particularly found incredibly different were
Royal Darwin Hospital
  • Only having 2 inpatients ..... compared to 36 on Surg when I left
  • Having 3 people (including myself) on ward round first up ...... compared to 9 on Surg when I left
  • Completely different computer system ..... which I annoyingly don't have access to!
But anyway - small hurdles to jump.

Both of the inpatients that are on our ward have Multiple Myeloma which is fascinating as it is something which I only know vaguely about, and so has conveniently become something new to learn about.  And then after the first day and realising just how many things there are which I know absolutely nothing, or very little about in the area of Haematology - has created an already long learning list.  The team that I am with currently though are pretty good.  The RMO is starting to get ready to sit exams so is very knowledgeable and absolutely lovely.  The Registrar is a reliever, so initially I was a little concerned as they came across as a little less enthusiastic about almost everything and not interested in helping out a student - but today that seemed a little better.  Probably also as I showed a bit of interest in actually learning and waiting around for them while they did their best to ignore me for ages while doing not much of anything yesterday.  Hahahaaha - or maybe its just my charming personality warming them up.  The ward Consultant currently is a bit of a character.  I was a bit worried about him also on the first day as he seemed a generally angry unapproachable type of person - but that's getting a bit better.  The fact that he also didn't mind that I needed to take Friday off to head back to Qld also helped him to grow in my initial wary opinion.  Maybe that and the fact that he seemed a little more keen to share his knowledge after I had to half chase him down a corridor to introduce myself to him this morning .... after not getting anywhere on Monday with trying to unobtrusively introduce myself in appropriate lulls in conversation after meetings.   So will just have to wait and see what happens over the next few days, and find out if they're all a bit Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or if it was all just being seen through my somewhat tainted glasses.

Anyway, should get back to finishing off a task/homework that I've already been given by my team to present.  Always gotta love the enforced learning.  Though this is stuff that I need to learn about anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment